Part of the Homebrew Directory
|Demo||MoonShell v1.71+1 Videos|
Moonshell v2 Stable has been released.
MoonShell v1.71+1 MoonShell is a multimedia player for Nintendo DS (Lite) consoles.
<youtube v="bTtQpGUY4a0" />
<youtube v="f717SfpOlE0" /> .
Download and Install Instructions
- Download: moonshell171p1_with_dpgtools131.zip Google search (13Mb)
Download and extract the Moonshell package to a folder on your computer.
Download the DLDI file for your card and move it into the DLDI folder that was created in the first step.
Download this tool
- Plug your card into your computer
- Start setup.exe
Which can be found in the moonshell17_with_dpgtools13 folder that you created in the first step
- Choose your card for Destination in the list and click OK.
- Click on the button "All clear" and check the tick box for your card.
- Click on the button Setup.
Moonshell will install itself to your card.
- Once the copy has finished unplug your card from your computer.
- Launch your card in your DS and start the Moonshell app.
- A = play file
- B = back
- Y = reduce volume
- X = increase volume
- START = menu
- SELECT (hold 5 sec) = take screenshot (wil be saved on the root of your card)
- L + R = pause
- R double touch = next file
- L double touch = previous file
- R triple touch = standby mode
- R + L + A = scan all files
- L + Left = show little menu
- L + Right = next file
- L + Up = pause
- L + Down = change playback options
- L + X/Y = increase/reduce backlight
Common Problems and Known Issues
- What looks like error messages, actually troubleshooting data, appear on bottom screen on start up.
- Movie lags if high bitrate and much movement and/or if file size is too large
Converting movie files
Movies have to be converted to .dpg format.
See the thread discussing ideal settings.
- There is a converter bundled with Moonshell called dpgenc.exe
FPS:15 Width: 256 Height: 192 Bitrate: 256 Profile: High Audio------ Bitrate 128 Samplerate 32000
SUPER is a fantastic Windows GUI to convert any video format to .dpg.
- the link placed here has been removed becuase it leads to downloads for infected items.
Output container: Nintendo DS (dpg) Width: 256 Height: 192 Frame/sec: 12fps (you can go up to 22fps - but this exceeds the refresh rate of the LCD, and actually reduces the video quality at a fixed maximum bitrate!) Video Bitrate: 432kbps (if you go higher than this bitrate, the sound might lag the video) Options: 44k audio (keep the box unticked) Audio Bitrate: 128kbps Aspect: 4:3 Samplerate: 32000 Click on the "O" for "Other Opts", and boost the sound up to 10dB.
Converting DVDs to be played on Moonshell
Converting under Linux
How to convert movies to .dpg under linux - gbadev thread
There is a python script (called dpgconv) that automates the steps discussed in the above thread. See this Ubuntu How To.
How to play .dpg files in Windows
Use DPGShow.exe found in the dpgtools131 folder.
- 2CV spoof (1.7Mb) (Watch movie on Youtube)
- JebsJobs, Technical support (10Mb) (Watch movie on Google Video)
How to install Moonshell skins
- Download and extract your skin to your computer
- Put the new skin files in a subfolder of /moonshl/skin
- Start Moonshell
- In the options turn off the hiding of the moonshl directory
- Restart Moonshell (reboot your DS - sigh)
- Browse to the new skin folder
- 'open' skin.ini.
- The new skin will then load
The bookmark function was added in v1.1 final, it has been reported to cause problems with some cards (please post feedback if you get it to work):
- create files called 'bookmrk0.sav','bookmrk1.sav','bookmrk2.sav','bookmrk3.sav' in your moonshell folder
- You can open the menu with L/R shoulder buttons if the bookmark function is enabled.
Note: When you are using an adapter that is not supported, NDS will lock-up. If it happens, please delete the bookmrk* files from the shell folder.